- This event has passed.
October 2, 2016 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm$15
Acting & Community-based Theatre – Uniting Performers!
Theatre classes for the masses
Affordable, flexible theatre classes for adults (aged 16+).
Open level classes offered Sundays from 3:00-5:00 PM, September 11 to October 2, at A1 LabArts Studio, 35 Emory Place. The fee for the entire series of four classes is just $50, or $15 for each class. Pre-registration preferred, but drop-ins are welcome!
- September 11: Intro to Stage Combat with SAFD-certified teacher Bob Borwick
- September 18: Improv with Paul Simmons of Einstein Simplified
- September 25: Doth’s and Don’ts: Your Shakespeare Audition Made Easy with director JP Schuffman
- October 2: Mining the Script with actor David Silverthorn
Plus, thanks to a generous grant from the East Tennessee Foundation CNS Y-12 Community Investment Fund, we will offer FREE theatre classes just for seniors (aged 50+) on Mondays from 1:00-3:00 PM from October 17 to November 7, at the O’Connor Senior Center, 611 Winona Street. No pre-registration required for these classes – simply walk in and join in the fun!
- October 17: How Not to be a Lump (Stage Presence/Movement) with director Margy Ragsdale
- October 24: Playwriting Workshop with author Staci Swedeen
- October 31: Costume Design on a Dime with costumer Kat Wright of Geek Done Wright
- November 7: The Complete History of American Theatre… Abridged with director JP Schuffman
ACT-UP offers affordable, flexible theatre classes for working adults while providing a forum for established local artists to share wisdom, develop teaching skills and promote their work. While these classes focus on process work over performance, we encourage students to apply their skills by participating in Tennessee Stage Company’s various projects and productions. ACT-UP classes are made possible thanks to a grant from the Tennessee Arts Commission.